Many people in Malaysia, or generally the areas where coconuts grow in abundance, know that the the sweet smelling coconut oil is their one and only hair oil. These are areas like the Indian Subcontinent, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, Burma, Philippines, and parts of the Caribbean.
I always use organic extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil to prevent build-up on your scalp and for best results. Processed coconut oil may contain additives that will not give you full benefit.
1. Coconut oil for Hair Growth
→ No other oil showed as much success as coconut oil in preserving the loss of potent hair-nourshing proteins and minerals. If you want healthier hair that grows in thick and strong, coconut oil is the best choice for your hair. Organic coconut milk also helps the hair grow long and thick.
→ Coconut oil contains a lot of valuable nutrients that are vital for proper hair growth. Nutrients like caprylic acid, lauric acid, mystiric acid and vitamins will strengthen the hair shaft and nourish the roots, promoting luscious strong hair strands.
→ Coconut oil also maintains the scalp’s natural pH balance, creating a hair-friendly environment that inhibits microbes, bacteria and other fungi that can cause infections which promote hair loss.
2. Coconut oil for Dandruff
→ Slather some silky coconut oil onto your dry scalp before bed everynight and rinse off the next day. Coconut oil has anti-fungal properties which help eliminate flaky dandruff as well as fungal infections. This beauty oil will deep moisturize your hair, sealing moisture into hair roots to keep your scalp healthy and lubricated.
→ A chemical-free conditioner for damaged hair might sound like a dream, but coconut oil is the real deal. Alive.com blog provides a magical recipe below
- Massage 3 to 5 Tbsp (45 to 75 mL) melted coconut oil into hair from roots to tips.
- Secure hair in a loose bun and cover with a shower cap or old T-shirt.
- Leave on for two hours or overnight to let the oil sink in.
- Wash hair as normal to remove oil.
3. Coconut oil for Split ends
→ Many claim that coconut oil actually works better than any man-made treatments on the market, and because it’s 100% natural it’s free of silicone, alcohols, and other chemicals that can aggravate sensitive skin and hair.
Delighted Momma shares a simple recipe that have previously used for my own hair. Here it is!
- Organic virgin coconut oil
- 2 drops of peppermint oil
- Scoop out a good amount of coconut oil.
- Mix the coconut oil with the peppermint oil and apply to your hair really working it into the scalp and down through the ends.
- If your hair is long twist it up into a bun. Cover your hair with a shower cap or a damp (clean) towel.
- Let the treatment sit for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition in the shower to make sure you get all of the coconut oil out.
4. Coconut oil as a Natural Hair Conditioner
Coconut oil is a wonderful hair conditioner on its own. Containing medium fatty trigycerides that can penetrate deep into the hair follicle and shaft, coconut oil will not only enrich your scalp with nutrients but also regenerate dull locks.
5. Coconut oil Hair Mask – Total Hair Treatment
Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids that protect the skin from bacteria and fungal infections. These fatty acids also regulate the pH of the scalp and create a skin friendly environment that helps stave off microbes that can cause itchiness and scalp infection.
The Every Girl blog shares a simple recipe below
What you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp. Organic Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp. Organic Raw Honey
- Combine one tablespoon coconut oil and 1 teaspoon organic honey in a small bowl.
- Wrap your hair in a bun and let the mask soak in for 30-40 minutes
- Wash the mask out in the shower using your regular shampoo and conditioner routine and voila!
6. Coconut oil for Frizzy, Dry & Curly Hair
Due to the shape of curly hair strands, the hair tends to be under-moisturized. The curly-haired scalp, on the other hand, can get very oily. Curly hair care comes down to managing these two competing demands. Hot Pre-poo shampoing with coconut oil is the answer.
7. Coconut oil for Dry Itchy Scalp
An itchy flaky scalp can be soothed with coconut oil. During dry winter, our skin and scalp can become very dry and also itchy. To provide a cooling and soothing relief for this problem, get 2 teaspoons of melted coconut oil and gently massage it all over your scalp.
How and when do you apply your coconut oil? Share your experiences!