Soreness is no fun, and one of my endeavors on OiB is letting you know how to cancel it out for good. When it comes to sore knees, the pain is enough to affect various aspects of your life. It does not matter if you are your twenties or your eighties—when you have bad knee pain, you feel horrible. Thankfully, there are 3 essential oils that come to the rescue.
Peppermint Essential Oil
I seriously am beginning to think that there is nothing peppermint essential oil cannot do! Medicine calls peppermint an “antispasmodic,” but shall we just say that it is super effective against pain? Not only does peppermint work against arthritis, it has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-fungal properties. Plus, with the added presence of menthol, muscular aches and pains are naturally soothed.
Lemongrass Essential Oil
The refreshing scent of lemongrass is often used for its mood boosting effects. But lemongrass has a hidden medicinal ability that reduces painful inflammation from arthritis, rheumatism, and autoimmune disorders.
When you have a torn MCL or ACL, the healing power of lemongrass will soothe the pain and relieve muscles that will be aching from favoring your injured knee. If you do not believe me, then check out the 2014 study published in The Libyan Journal of Medicine, which furthers research done by the Journal of Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids by proving lemongrass essential oil inhibits inflammation.
Ginger Essential Oil
For those who are on an anti-inflammatory diet, you will agree with me that ginger is a miracle plant. Although there is a slight burning sensation when ginger essential oil is first applied to your sore knee, this is a sign of immediate action in reducing pain and inflammation. Multiple studies have been done that prove ginger reduces pain and stiffness by 40 percent and has analgesic (painkilling) properties.
How to Use Oils
There are many ways to make use of these oils. Whether rubbed on the affected knee together or separately, topical application will be the best. You can purchase a roller applicator (after mixing with a carrier oil) or whip up a homemade essential oil lotion.
Homemade Essential Oil Lotion
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (optionally: almond, grapeseed, or jojoba oil)
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup bees wax
- 1 cup pure aloe vera gel, mixed with distilled water
- 2 tbsp vitamin E
- 40 drops of essential oil – either divided up between all three or between two. Feel free to add another of your favorite oils for aromatic uses.
- Put the oils, beeswax, and aloe vera gel into a medium-sized bowl. Then place that bowl in a saucepan filled with water.
- Heat on a stove over medium heat. Let the ingredients melt together.
- Once mixed, put the bowl in the refrigerator (after letting it cool) until solid.
- With a mixer or hand mixer, beat the mixture until fluffy. Add the vitamin E and essential oils. Mix again.
- Store in a BPA free container.
Voila! Essential oil lotion for sore knees in about 90 minutes or less. Sore knees do not have to ruin your daily life. Not when essential oils are proven to help relief that soreness. Plus, with the easy to make lotion or topical spray, you can get that relief almost instantly.
So, OiB readers, what do you think? And if you have experience, let everyone else know your thoughts!