What’s the deal with Salads anyway? Some people adore salads whereas some despise them. I would say that after potato chips salad is the most popular item in restaurants all over the world. That’s why Today on OiB I will enlighten you with the different types of salads and how you can make them creative and tasty in a healthy way.
By definition a salad is strictly speaking a combination of meat, vegetables, fruit, nuts or cheese either cooked or raw and served with any dressing or dip.
Now that we’re clear with what a Salad actually is; let’s focus on the different varieties of salads you can find in functions, events, parties and family dinners.
- Green Salad: The most common type of salad which can be found in restaurants all over the world. Lettuce is the main ingredient in this salad – after that you can add vegetables, meat, fish, nuts or eggs to complement the taste and nutrients. This type of salad is typically topped with mayonnaise or oil based vinegar.
- Vegetable Salad: As the name states, this type of salad mostly consists of blanched vegetables along with cheese and nuts. Occasionally fruit may also be added. But, a sauce or dressing is a must as it helps in combining all the flavors together.
- Mixed Green Salads: This salad is a mixture of numerous types of lettuces. Some varieties are sweet whereas others can be bit sour. The dressing of vinaigrette is usually prefereed as it helps in releasing the flavors of lettuces.
- Fruit Salads: This type of salad is my personal favorite because it is super tasty and you can eat it any time of the day you want without any hassle. As the name states, this salad strictly comprises of fruits (either canned or seasonal) and sometimes whipped cream can be added for extra facor.
- Seafood Salads: Just ask your relatives or friends living away from rivers or sea and they will tell you of how much they crave for fresh and tasty seafood. Adding flakes of a freshly caught fish into a green salad can do wonders because the taste is just extraordinary. Oh, and fish is extremely healthy and good for your health.
- Complete Meal Salads: If you have left-over meat from yesterday’s dinner don’t just throw it away. Instead, add some eggs, cheese and vegetables in it and voila! You have got yourself a meal salad. The Italians have been doing this since centuries and they call it the antipasto salad. Pasta Salads: Last but not the least is the pasta salad which is getting increasingly popular as the days pass by. You can make this a great starter for your BBQ parties and family dinners.
Here is worth mentioning that for a dish to be called a SALAD. It has to have at least 2 or more than two ingredients.
In the end, I would like to say that don’t restrict your creativity and try creating new types of salad combinations using the left-over items in your fridge or by using premium seasonal fruits or vegetables. Also, I would love to hear out any WOW salad recipes from you guys so go ahead and surprise us with your unique salad recipe.
Already trying it?